Friday, December 7, 2012

Richard Avedon


I thought that this picture was good for emulating the work of Richard Avedon in the way that he isn't trying to make a face, or force a smile. When I was taking the picture, my only instructions were to stand in front of the white wall, and I took the picture before he had the time to question what face he was supposed to make. This is why it's so natural. 

I chose this because his face is unusual, and Richard Avedon took most of his pictures of people who weren't the every day model type. He focused on telling the stories of different people, and wasn't exclusive to who he would take pictures of. Also, the rule of thirds allows the eyes of the observer to focus in on the subject's eyes. 

I thought this picture was interesting because it's one of the pictures that I am captured by when I look at it. I think this could be because the center of his left eye is in the rule of thirds. This automatically draws me to it and allows me to feel like I'm not just standing in front of him, looking at his eye, but that I'm there.  

I chose this because I took this picture just as they were finished making an "emotional" face, and therefore it was not them trying to look any certain way. Also, it seems as though Frankie is almost trying to mimic Oscar's face. 

I chose this picture because Amanda looks completely miserable, and that's how she said she was feeling that day. She isn't trying to put a smile on and pretend she's feeling something other than she is. 

I chose this because I thought it was similar to Richard Avedon in the way that her lips are pursed, yet she still looks very natural. 

I chose this picture because Sadie was getting frustrated with me for not explaining well enough what she was supposed to be doing. It is a quizzical look on her face, and her hand motions were an automatic reaction. 

I was trying to take a picture of Eva laughing, which I thought would portray her happiness. Also, not all of his pictures were always clear and completely without blur. However, I realized that Richard Avedon very rarely took pictures of people laughing. This made me reconsider using it, along with the fact that the background isn't all the way white. 

No comments:

Post a Comment